The Anchorage Chamber board of directors serves as an advocate for the local business community. With input from the member-driven advocacy committees, the board often takes positions on issues that will impact business and quality of life in Anchorage.
Oppose Ballot Measure 1, a proposition to repeal oil & gas tax reform
Newspaper Headline: “Palin’s Legacy an Unlikely Role in Alaska Fight on Oil Taxes”
The Anchorage Chamber opposes Ballot Measure 1, an initiative that seeks to repeal oil & gas tax reforms adopted last year by the Alaska State Legislature. For more than 50 years, the oil and gas industry has played a central role in Alaska’s economic growth and job creation
Today, more than one-third of all Alaska jobs are tied to the oil and gas industry and those jobs are spread across the entire economy in transportation, construction, engineering, housing, retail sales, hospitality, professional services, government, and many other areas where there is an indirect impact because of the energy industry.
Alaska’s oil production has been declining by an average of six percent per year for the last 6 years, and that production decline continued under the old punitive tax system (ACES) put in place in 2007.
The new oil tax structure has created an investment climate favorable to increasing oil production which will provide a growing and vibrant Alaska economy. Tax reform is already having an impact; oil-producing companies have already announced new projects and investments that will add oil production and create new jobs across Alaska’s economy; and that the new tax system needs to be given a chance to work to secure Alaska’s future.
Below you will find resolutions and letters of support passed by the Anchorage Chamber board of directors in an effort to advance a successful business climate.
2014 Letters of Support/ Opposition
- Letter of Support for Medicaid Expansion Provided Federal match Maintained and/or Alternative Pilot Grogram Implemented
2012 Letters of Support/ Opposition
- No on Ballot Measure 2
- Letter of Opposition of U.S. Senate Bill 1813
- Letter of Support for Senate Bill 222
- Letter of Support for meaningful tax reform
- Letter of Support for House Bill 314
- Letter of Support for House Bill 168
- Letter of Support for Centennial funding
2011 Letters of Support
- Letter to President Obama on OCS
- Letter of Support of OCS Shell Exploration Plan
- Letter of Support for USS Anchorage Commissioning Ceremony
- Letter of Support for Anchorage United for Youth Project
- Letter of Support for Port of Anchorage Expansion Project
- Letter of Support for the Alaska Forward Initiative
2010 Letters of Support
- Letter of Support for Chugach Electric’s AEA Renewable Energy Grant for a Transmission Line
2009 Letters of Support
- Letter of Support for the full inclusion of the Alaska’s OCS in the 5-year OCS Oil and Gas Leasing Program for 2010-2015
2008 Letters of Support
- Letter of Support for the Point Thomson project
Relevant Resolutions (passed)
- Resolution in Opposition to the Inclusion of Alaska in the North American ECA
- Resolution in Support of Title 21 Rewrite Expedited Approval (2012)
- Resolution in Support of HB 110 and SB 49 to Create a Competitive Economic Climate (2010)
- Resolution In Support of Stability in Taxation of Alaska’s Oil and Gas Industry (2007)
- Resolution In Support of Responsible Exploration, Development and Production of ANWR (2005)
- Resolution In Support of Knik Arm Crossing (2005)